Location: Seattle, WA or Atlanta, GA
The National Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardian ad Litem (CASA/GAL) Association for Children fulfills society’s most fundamental obligation by making sure a qualified and compassionate adult will fight for and protect an abused or neglected child’s best interests. The mission of National CASA/GAL, together with its state and local members, is to support and promote court-appointed volunteer advocacy so that every abused or neglected child can be safe, establish permanence and have the opportunity to thrive. Today, only 45% of the abused or neglected children in the system have access to a CASA/GAL volunteer. The National CASA/GAL organization is committed to ensuring 100% of these children have access to a CASA volunteer.
Breaking New Ground
In 2019, National CASA/GAL launched a multi-year campaign, “Change a Child’s Story”. The campaign is an integrated campaign designed to reach out to a wide range of constituent groups and was deployed across a wide spectrum of media. In addition to this campaign, National CASA/GAL has developed a new strategic framework that is informing and guiding our efforts through a major reorganization, development of a new business model, and a plan for the future direction of our organization, including the launching of a major capital campaign. The leadership team that will drive these changes will be hands on leaders, critical thinkers and problem solvers, relationship builders, collaborative decision-makers, as well as effective communicators, and entrepreneurial and change leaders.
The Director, Conference Planning and Events provides leadership, coordination and manages the planning and implementation of the annual national conference as a primary role and function. The Director also manages national campaign and fundraising events to include National CASA’s new signature Walk/Run event and other national events that bring awareness and support of CASA programs around the country. This position is responsible for overall goals and outcomes for the national conference and national events and plans all assigned events to meet both participant and organizational goals and objectives. This position serves as a resource to the training department assisting with other National CASA training, meetings, or events. This position works with outside vendors and manages the services provided by those vendors to successfully execute the terms and conditions of their contracts and scope of work and to ensure the overall success of the event.
This position reports to the Communications Officer
National CASA/GAL Annual Conference
- Manage the planning, logistics and successful execution of the annual national conference to include working collaboratively with all key stakeholders, working directly with the conference vendor. Translates the vision/strategy/theme of the conference into an experience for the conference attendees including the look and feel of the event from registration to the conference conclusion.
- Manages site selection process and procurement process for sites, vendors, contractors, speakers and workshop facilitators.
- Manages and coordinates the activities of the conference planning team members that assist on the ground with conference event execution and any upfront planning and communications.
- Directs and monitors the work of contractors involved in events.
- Work with Sales Manager to coordinate exhibit area
- Serve as liaison with the hotel staff regarding catering arrangements, meeting room set up including AV and room accommodations
- Serve as main contact for conference site hotel
- Oversee conference budget and process post-conference bills reconciliation
- Coordinate post conference feedback, best practices and lessons learned
- Act as consultant to provide general technical and consultative support to other meeting and event planning activities as needed.
National CASA/GAL Special Events
- Manages national special events to include nationwide marketing and public relations events.
- Oversees and manages event logistics to include a newly developed “virtual walk/run”. Act as the lead project manager for all aspects of the planning and production of the assigned events.
- Works in close partnership with Marketing and Resource Development to ensure planning and facilitation of any national visibility or fundraising events and to ensure the goals and objectives are successfully met.
- Collaborates across the department and other functional areas to deliver an exceptional event experience that engage participants, donors and volunteers to advance the mission.
- Drive logistical coordination to support revenue growth through well-executed event planning and implementation for each of the events.
- Collaborate with fundraising staff and sponsorship managers to maximize corporate partner and team engagement at events.
- Ensure excellent stewardship of organization resources. Acquire in-kind contributions for each event and track for budget reporting.
- Establish and build relationships, partnerships, and alliances with individuals, corporations and organizations to attract and steward volunteers for key local initiatives, fundraising and awareness building, including collaborating with other development staff to engage volunteers from each market.
Serve as a member of the National CASA/GAL Celebrations Committee.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Position requires a positive attitude, strong work ethic, excellent teamwork ability, organizational skills and a commitment to achieve the event desired results
- The ability to manage a large amount of details, track timelines, monitor budget and expenses, delegate effectively, empower and direct volunteers and staff during the event.
- 5-7 years’ experience in a conference and/or meeting planning position for national organization with responsibilities for major conference events including hotel, facility, conference and food and beverage details. Must have experience demonstrating responsibility for planning events of various sizes including large multi-day events of 800 – 1400 + participants/attendees.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field, equivalent combination of education and experience. Event Planning Professional certification preferred.
- Superior communication and leadership skills with a proven track record in developing and implementing successful marketing, volunteer recruitment and fundraising campaigns.
- Strong project budget management skills including ability to successfully negotiate with all vendors for best value and cost within tight parameters
- Significant project management experience including influencing, negotiation and delegation skills
- Demonstrated diplomacy in working with diverse cultures, audiences, sensitive situations and subject matter
- Excellent project management skills including influencing, leading, negotiation and delegation skills
- Ability to travel to potential and final venues as well as ability to be onsite for event duration, including some nights and weekends
- Excellent technical abilities including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, conference registration/onsite management applications, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits: National CASA/GAL offers a competitive salary and benefits package, and generous paid leave including vacation and sick leave. This is a full-time exempt position.
Adaptability ◦ Collaboration ◦ Integrity ◦ Respect ◦ Quality ◦ Service ◦ Stewardship
National CASA/GAL is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, with a second office in Washington D.C. and one soon to open in Atlanta, GA, and is committed to an inclusive and welcoming workplace environment. National CASA/GAL has been certified by the Standards for Excellence Institute for ethics and accountability in the nonprofit sector.
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of Director, Conference Planning and Events.
National Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardian ad Litem (CASA/GAL) Association for Children
100 WEST HARRISON, NORTH TOWER, SUITE 500, SEATTLE, WA 98119
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER