Location: Seattle, WA
The National Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardian ad Litem (CASA/GAL) Association for Children fulfills society’s most fundamental obligation by making sure a qualified compassionate adult will fight for and protect an abused or neglected child’s best interests. The mission of National CASA/GAL, together with its state and local members, is to support and promote court-appointed volunteer advocacy so that every abused or neglected child can be safe, establish permanence, and have the opportunity to thrive. But today, only 45% of the children in the system have access to a CASA/GAL volunteer. The National CASA/GAL organization is committed to assuring 100% of the children in the system have access to a CASA/GAL volunteer.
Breaking New Ground
National CASA/GAL has developed a strategic framework that is informing and guiding our efforts through a major reorganization, development of a new business model, and plan for the future direction of our organization, including the launching of a major Capital Campaign. The leadership team that will drive these changes will be strategic thinkers, relationship builders, collaborative decision-makers, entrepreneurial achievers, effective communicators, change leaders, inspiring motivators, and culturally competent.
The Paralegal Extern supports legal work for National CASA/GAL and members of the association. The Paralegal Extern will monitor trademark compliance and coordinate actions in trademark disputes. Additionally, the Paralegal intern assists with membership issues arising from operating a national membership non-profit organization. The Paralegal Extern sits in the Seattle office and reports to the General Counsel, Chief Legal Affairs Officer or another member of the Office of Legal and External Affairs.
Operational, Engagement and Organizational Processes
- Aligns and acts in accordance with the organizational goals, objectives and priorities set annually.
- Develops processes for recommendation, review and vetting through the network engagement process where applicable and/or through the internal approval process.
- Follows the organization’s guiding principles for any new system, process or procedure development, or project management roll-out protocol, making sure to engage relevant stakeholders and obtain proper approvals.
- Follows organization organizational policies, procedures and communications standards when interacting with the network and externally.
- Operates within National CASA’s cross-functional and collaborative framework to accomplish goals and objectives while honoring functional areas of responsibilities.
- Monitors for unauthorized use of National CASA/GAL trademarks.
- Coordinates actions in trademark disputes.
- Assists with membership issues.
- Other duties as required.
- Current enrollment in Paralegal program
- Interest in trademark, non-profit and/or child welfare law
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and the ability to work independently
- Demonstrate ability to embrace and exemplify organizational competencies and values
- Work well under pressure with deadlines and be skilled in prioritizing responsibilities
- Demonstrate a commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, donors, state and local program staff, and other supporters
- Become a steward and ambassador for the CASA/GAL mission and brand
- Exceptional project management, prioritization and planning skills
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and experience with delivering presentations
Salary and Benefits
This is a part-time, time-limited unpaid position for course credit. The extern will receive no salary or benefits.
Adaptability ◦ Collaboration ◦ Integrity ◦ Respect ◦ Quality ◦ Service ◦ Stewardship
National CASA/GAL, headquartered in Seattle, Washington and with an office in Washington D.C., is committed to an inclusive and welcoming workplace environment. We are proud to have been recognized for Excellence in Workplace Flexibility by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation and as a Best Adoption Friendly Workplace by the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. National CASA/GAL has been certified by the Standards for Excellence Institute for ethics and accountability in the nonprofit sector.
TO APPLY: Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
NATIONAL COURT APPOINTED SPECIAL ADVOCATE / GUARDIAN AD LITEM ASSOCIATION FOR CHILDREN
100 WEST HARRISON NORTH TOWER SUITE 500 SEATTLE, WA 98119
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER